[cancer] Nobody told me I’d have teeth like this

Plaque? Dental plaque? A plague of plaque, of Biblical proportions, from the department of weird chemo side effects.

What is chemo doing to my arteries?

Oi.

In other news, back home to Portland this afternoon. arrives tomorrow morning.

7 thoughts on “[cancer] Nobody told me I’d have teeth like this

1. Mur says:

All those careful questions about sex, and you didn’t ask any about your teeth? 😉 So do they recommend more frequent trips to the dentist while on chemo? (like you’d need more stress…)

Actually, we did talk about the teeth. In fact, I cannot go to the dentist on chemo due to the potential for excessive gum bleeding. I have special chemo toothpaste and mouthwash, etc. But all the discussion was around drymouth cavities and mouth sores. Not cubic yards of dental plaque…

1. Mur says:

Ah! I shouldn’t have assumed you’d skip that question. Do you think it’s the chemo itself, or is the special toothpaste milder and just not up to the job of plaque removal?

I don’t know. I’m going to call my dentist today and ask them what they think. Will ask the chemo nurses on Friday when I’m at the infusion center. But mostly I need to brush my teeth even more.

(Shelly Rae reports having the same problem during both of her chemo courses, btw.)

2. Meg says:

Jay, given my own recent chemo experience I suspect that this might be thrush, especially if it’s on your tongue and in your throat. Check with your chemo nurse to see if that’s a possiblility.

My oncologist prescribed what she called “magic mouthwash” that contained nystatin, lydocaine and bendryl. I took 5ml four times a day with instructions to swish and swallow. Eating Greek yogurt seemed to help rpevent it most of time.

Hope this helps

1. Meg says:

Oops forgot the fourth ingrediant of th “magic mouthwash” — milk of magnesia. Sorry for the omisson.

Thank you, Meg. I see the chemo nurse in two days. I will ask.