[photos|cancer] Taking the hair off … all of it

Yesterday afternoon, and I went to see John, my stylist and Hero of the Revolution. (It was he who washed the blood out of my hair last December, far above and beyond the call of duty [ jlake.com | LiveJournal ].) Camille Alexa met us there, and dropped by briefly.

Our mission? To remove my thinning hair from my scalp.

John’s vision? Twisted, twisted, twisted…

IMG_8813
Me in the chair

IMG_8862
The hair begins to come off. Long tresses were bagged for the Potlatch auction this weekend, while some were saved aside for special requests.

IMG_8832
First stop, the psychotic Dutch boy.

IMG_8836
Next, the mullet. (Or as John called it, the “ape drape”.) Where’s my Firebird?

IMG_8937
Then we went with the Cary Grant.

IMG_8992

IMG_9000
I react to the Mr. T.

IMG_9031
When we went chemohawk, I lamented the lack of a crossbow, Road Warrior style. John said, “Oh, wait a sec,” went into the back of the salon, and returned with a crossbow. This is why he does my hair. Because he is freaky, randomly, cool. Does your stylist keep a crossbow around?

IMG_9050
Another view of the chemohawk.

IMG_9070
John attempts to convince me to keep the chemohawk. loiters in the background.

IMG_9115
The bihawk.

IMG_9132
Dinosaur spines.

IMG_9143
More dinosaur spines.

IMG_9230
The return of Anton LaVey, with a guest appearance by my tongue. Horny little devil, ain’t I?

IMG_9225
Sad devil is sad.

IMG_9290
The new me.

IMG_9300
As a coup de grace, and revenge for a dreadful chemo fart, John decorated the back of my scalp.

© 2010 Camille Alexa and Sarah Bryant.

Creative Commons License

This work by Camille Alexa and Sarah Bryant is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.

As usual, more at the Flickr set.

John is a Hero of the Revolution, I say again. He took what could have been an emotionally difficult fifteen minute clip job and turned it into an hour or so of shear madness. A lot of silliness, a lot of laughter, and I left smiling.

29 thoughts on “[photos|cancer] Taking the hair off … all of it

1. Sherry says:

I think he took off ten to fifteen years along with the hair. You. Really. Look. Younger!

2. *tilts head* you know, as awesome as your hair is, I actually think you look just as good bald.
    John rocks! ๐Ÿ™‚ And so do you.

3. Wow that looks terrific. As I suspected, you have the face for the bald look. It makes you look focused and brings out the strong brow. It brings attention to your eyes, very directly. Awesome.

Your stylist rocks. As does this series of pics. You should make icons out of them or something. The Mr. T reaction is grand, but it is hard to beat the devilish look.

It’s great to hear that you left smiling. Mission accomplished, and not in a George Bush sense.

4. Jess says:

Happy Melon is Happy. =)

Looks great, Jay.

5. cate says:

You are my new hero! I don’t think I’d have the bravery or the sense of humor to get through that. Awesomesauce with cherries on top!

6. Good heavens! Jay, you look fantastic bald. In the Cary Grant one, I thought “I never noticed what beautiful eyes he has.” and that just got more pronounced as the photos continued.

Also, the crossbow is awesomeness.

7. Sรคn says:

If I’d seen the comments before I saw your slick head, I would have thought all your friends were just trying to make you feel better. I did not imagine a bald Jay Lake would look bad-ass–I imagined it would look rather silly. However, I stand corrected! As someone else pointed out, it actually draws attention to your face, particularly your eyes, whereas your hair used to take the attention away from your features.

You actually look a bit like a meatier Jason Statham. I can just see you cartwheeling down the sides of buildings, avoiding machine gun fire with fast footwork while you punch out drug dealers and slavers.

(I admit I did like the mohawk slightly better, but that’s probably just my punk roots.)

8. You know, you are one of those rare few people who looks good like that. (I seem to recall they had trouble casting the bald alien lady in Star Trek the movie due to that very issue.) Thanks for posting these!

9. Krys Taylor says:

Honestly, dearie, I’d have begged you to keep the chemohawk too. I think after this is all done, you should stick with it. The look REALLY works for you. ๐Ÿ˜€
    And the crossbow only had a LITTLE to do with that.

*hugs*

10. Please tell me I’m not the only one who saw the chemohawk and crossbow picture and thought, Technoviking!

11. I think the “new you” looks fantastic! Although, I agree: Sad devil r very sad ๐Ÿ™

The crossbow takes the cake. +15 joy and agility ๐Ÿ™‚

12. Jed says:

I agree with the other commenters — I like the mohawk, and I think the bald look looks good on you, sorry as I am to see the long hair go.

13. Dave H says:

I agree with the group, you look great bald. It gives you kind of an “emperor’s wisest and most trusted advisor, and kung-fu master” look. Besides, you don’t have the eyebrows to pull off the Anton LaVey look. You made the right choice.

14. ces says:

You look very handsome bald! and such beautiful blue eyes – your eyes become the focal point now that the long hair is gone.

Beware – the skin on your head will be VERY sensitive to the sun’s rays – be sure you keep it covered with sunscreen, even on gray rainy days. And it will dry out – so purchase a good quality oil and keep it oiled.

I had a female friend who had to shave her head due to a skin infection she had – and she learned the hard way about getting a sunburned bald head & its skin drying out & flaking off.

You’re doing great guy, and I LOVED “Green!” and the “Mainspring” series!

15. Emma Bull says:

Dude, you look hawt! (Though John was also right about the ‘hawk; you look mighty good in one.)

16. The next-to-last version, with the two thingies sticking up, didn’t make me think of Anton LaVey or the devil.

No, the person who leaped to the front of my mind was Uncle Martin from MY FAVORITE MARTIAN. (But, hey, Ray Walston could make even a dumb sitcom character pretty cool, so take it as a compliment.)

17. Fred says:

Hey Jay! Might want to look into this. Have you considered other treatments such as natural ones? Just checking! The “new-do” is you! Looking good!
    Fred (CIS)

18. Cliff says:

While I too like long hair (mine used to be long until it got too thin on top from the whole male pattern baldness bugaboo)….

Ya know….

You look pretty sharp with the beard & the shaved head.

Glad you posted the whole process. Several of the intermediate states were well worth documenting. And the smiley is cute.

19. Cliff says:

(Also, I’m a Peanuts fan, so I appreciate the sight gag.)

20. Carrie Rapp says:

I love this series of photos. Thank you for doing it. The one thing that really stood out to me, was not necessarily the “fun with hair”O(which was…well, fun), but your eyes. Jay, you have soulful eyes! *shameless flirt*

21. Ellen Eades says:

I confess I had to actually go to the Flickr page to see the crossbow, and lo and behold, there it was. Your hairdresser is indeed teh awesome.

22. Ted Kosmatka says:

Welcome to the baldness club! You’ll find it’s much cooler in the summer. (But don’t forget sun-screen.)

23. yayaya! helping us bald men look goooood.

24. Stevie says:

The chemohawk is way, way good.

Bald works as well, I hasten to add.

But the chemohawk is really something special…

25. Lindalee Stahlman Volmert says:

Jay, as someone who worked as a medical/research librarian for 15 years, I have to warn you to really check out any alternative treatments. There are a lot of “snake oil” sales people out there-taking advantage of desperate people. There are channelers, people who claim to be in contact with aliens, and a lot of strange stuff. There are also some legitimate alternative treatments-the good ones usually tell you to stay on conventional treatment and to supplement with theirs.

26. Love the bihawk!

The new you look is good too. Agree with many comments above about how it brings out your eyes. Thank you for sharing the fun and humor with such grace.