[personal] A note on my health and my professional availability

Pardon this administrative announcement, but it has come to my attention twice in the past few weeks that people looking to invite/include me in professional opportunities have passed me up because of my health situation.

I am quite happy to report myself sufficiently recovered to do pretty much anything I could do before this last round of cancer, at least in a professional sense. So if you were thinking of asking me for a story for your market, inviting me to be a toastmaster or GoH at a convention, asking me to teach a conference, spotting me to a first class Mediterranean cruise, or even simply taking me to lunch while you pass through Portland, I am pleased to be fully available subject to the ordinary constraints of scheduling, suitability of the opportunity, and so forth.

And if need be, please pass the word. I’m back.

7 thoughts on “[personal] A note on my health and my professional availability

1. seahay says:

Hello Mr Lake. I’m glad that you are doing better.

I’ve just finished your novel “Rocket Science” (purchased through Barnes and Noble for my Nook).

I enjoyed it very much, and look forward to exploring more of your writing.

Yours

Sean Hayes

I am glad you enjoyed the book!

2. kyle cassidy says:

this is most excellent news. though you neglected to put “lead airship raiding party”

3. Stevo Darkly says:

Guess who’s back
    Back again
    Jay Lake’s back
    Tell a friend
    Guess who’s back, guess who’s back,
    Guess who’s back, guess who’s back

Dah dah-dah daaaah…

I’m beatin’ the monster
    I’m not held back by the cancer no more
    Doin’ better, they chopped it outa my liver
    Well if you want Jay, this is what I’ll give yer
    A little bit of fic, mixed with some hard liquor
    Some vodka that’ll jump-start my heart quicker
    Than a shock when I get shocked at the hospital
    By the doctor when I’m not co-operating
    When I’m rockin’ the table while he’s operating (Hey!)

You waited this long, now you can stop waiting
    Cause I’m back, I’m a pro and I’m still creating
    Don’t count me out until you hear my answer
    I did well with all my treatments — F*** YOU, CANCER!

So if you’ve got a job for me
    Well everybody, just call up me
    I can write or speak for a modest fee
    ‘Cause it feels so empty, without me

So if you’ve got a job for me
    Well everybody, just call up me
    I can write or speak for a modest fee
    ‘Cause it feels so empty, without me!!!

(Apologies to Jay and to Eminem.)

Glad you’re feeling better.

4. Gordon says:

Huzzah!

5. Rudy Rucker says:

Jay, I’m glad to hear you’re past the crisis. Write on!