[personal] Don’t have much to say today, so I’ll ask you instead

Home and quiet, still laying low from the immune system issues. Life goes on, and oddly for me, I don’t have much to say today.

So instead I’ll ask you. What’s on your mind? Tell me something about your day, your writing, your life. Phrase you answer in the form of a question if you wish and I’ll do my best to play Dear Abby.

24 thoughts on “[personal] Don’t have much to say today, so I’ll ask you instead

1. Lisa Gemino says:

I’m at the day job (well, night shift of same), last hour or so before bed. I’m on the laptop writing a parkour fight scene near the climax of a sword and sorcery serial killer murder mystery.

Lot going on for 614

Good luck making the fight come out!

2. Christian Berntsen says:

I’m hoping for a lovely day despite the world these days. But I’ll settle for a lovely moment or two, because sometimes that is enough.

Sometimes moments are all we have.

3. Michael says:

I’m struggling to convert an overtly erotic idea with SFnal undercurrents to an overtly SFnal idea with erotic undertones for a screenplay. I have this idea about a future where debtors are sold as slaves (not original), and the slave training is almost always the D/s kind (also not original, of course). My struggle is tying it to the hypocrisy of the society that views slavery as an social evil, but accepts debtor slavery as a reasonable and good thing (after all, it’s just a contract – good ole’ capitalism) and the sexual hypocrisy of the socially conservative world that I think would inevitably bring about this thing. I don’t need help. I just wanted to vent. /vent

Cost Accountants of Gor?

1. Michael says:

More like Mary Malmrose’s “For Love or Money” with Margaret Atwood’s A Handmaid’s Tale government thrown in.

4. ces says:

What’s the hardest thing about raising a transracial adoptee?

Helping her grow into her ethnic identity when I do not share it. I was born in China, and spent a lot of my childhood there, but that doesn’t make me Chinese. It does, however, provide me with something of a bridge to her growing identity.

1. ces says:

Thank you!

5. David says:

Researching business, planning the year ahead, thinking about writing, and writing the first civil encounter between a couple of characters. They’ve got reason for instant enmity, but the social constraints of the situation require they swallow that and get along. For now. It’s fun.

Oooh! “Dynamic tension must be hard work.”

1. David says:

Jury’s still out on whether it’ll take seven days. And truthfully, I get most of the hard work.

Yes, but you can make you a ma-a-a-a-an…

6. KT says:

I’ve been following your blog for a short while and I’ve never wrote, maybe you’ve pushed me to start though.

On my mind: I’m a very new writer and it’s difficult to complete things barely worth reading. I wonder when things will click – like when my motivation and dedication will really kick in. Balancing my new endeavors into writing and work has been a challenge. What made writing click for you? What got you over hurdles in the beginning?

Oh, heck, it took me years to write things worth reading. Eleven years from the time I got serious to the point where I got published.

Things clicked for me because I kept plugging away until writing became habitual, then natural. As I’ve said elsewhere, psychotic persistence. Those early hurdles were the toughest, specifically because of a lack of the external validation of publication. I was in a workshop most of those years, so I had a lot of peer support, which helped. And, well, did I mention psychotic persistence…? You have to *really* want this.

1. KT says:

Thanks so much for the response – you’re awesome, Jay Lake. I really do want it and it’s time to stop assessing and get psychotic. Here I come, psychosis!

7. pelican says:

I got a puppy on Saturday.

She’s not quite 8 weeks, and I’m exhausted from the sleep disturbance. I have no idea how people our age (number starts with 4) have babies … well, I have some idea how they have babies, but it just doesn’t seem like a good idea right now.

Right now, I’m trying to catch up on teh internetz while she sleeps.

Glad you’re getting some quiet and some writing done while your neutrophils regrow.

Good luck on that whole sleep thing…

2. Michael says:

crate her, don’t let her get you up until morning, and then take her out Immediately upon waking. Also, feed her in her crate and take her out 20 miuntes after feeding. Make a big deal out of it when she potties and bring out the liver treats. 3-4 days tops she should be potty trained and crate trained.

8. CJ Mariscano says:

Writing related: I’m getting ready to launch a Kickstarter campaign to fund a small pressing (very small – fifty copies minimum) of my first novel. Fingers are cr oases but I think it’s a unique way to start to get my name out there as a writer.

Good luck with that. Send me the relevant links when you announce the campaign.

1. CJ Mariscano says:

Thanks, Jay. Sorry about the spelling error in my first reply (goddamn iPad autocorrect!)