[personal] So, about that quilt

Probably the most significant gift I received at the family Christmas this past weekend was a quilt of my book covers. My (step)mother, my dad, my uncle and my sister designed and produced it, with the sewing done by mom. It’s funny and flattering and loving and magnificent, all at once. And since a bunch of you reading here are crafty folks, I’m offering preliminary photos of this wonderful thing:

quilt_front
The front of the quilt, with thirteen of my book covers — better photos to come

quilt_back
The back of the quilt, signed (so to speak) by the perpetrators

I wanted to hang it on the wall for display, but my gifters insist it’s for me to use as a quilt is meant to be used. So I shall.

My family is so awesome.

15 thoughts on “[personal] So, about that quilt

1. Lydia says:

Beautiful! You know that took some serious time – and the backing print is hilarious, too. Every stitch a stitch of love. 🙂

2. Can we get a follow up post from your relatives detailing the techniques they used on this quilt? I’m serious. I’m a quilter.

I’ve worked on a similar quilt using scans of old, vintage SF paperback covers.

Jeff

I will ask for a descriptive email, and post whatever I get.

3. Paul says:

What an amazing gift! You are surely loved, and what’s better than that?

4. Oh, and in my haste to learn everything I could about how they made the quilt, I totally forgot to add.

That’s a beautiful, lovely quilt, that I’m sure will bring you a lot of joy and comfort!

5. That’s BEAUTIFUL — so sweet!

6. ces says:

I, too, am a quilter, and that is a gift to treasure forever, a one-of-a-kind gift made 100% of love!

Please ask your family also where they found the hawaiian shirts background fabric.

7. Alexis says:

You have an equally creative family! What a beautiful quilt!

8. Pam says:

That’s beautiful and amazing. Sending it to a quilter friend. I don’t have the talent but she’s awesome and will really appreciate this. The shirts are perfect too. What a great family you have. I don’t often think of you as a lucky man, with all your chemo fun lately, but I’ve changed my mind.

That’s awesome. I’m an occasional quilter, so I know how much work a full size quilt is.

Love the Hawaiian shirt backing fabric, too.

10. Pam says:

What a wonderful gift — so many thoughtful choices to make an on-going warm embrace.

11. pelican says:

That is an amazing gift! I too am excited to hear the technical specs.

12. JD Rhoades says:

That is a truly amazing gift.