[personal|writing] A change of direction

Well, Calamity of So Long a Life is out the door, and I’ve found myself doing a lot of soul searching about my writing career, the kind of work I’m doing, and where I’m likely to go over the next few years, especially in the face of my ongoing cancer struggles.

This really has been an incredibly rewarding journey I’ve been on since 1990. Science fiction and fantasy have always been the home of my heart, and they always will be. Too much of who I am was built on the experience of being a reader, a fan, a writer, for all these years.

But it’s time for a change. I’m redirecting my efforts toward something that better reflects the current circumstances of my life, and offers me a greater shot at economic success. From now on, I’m going to be writing nurse romances.

I’ve already proposed a five part series to my agent, The White Shoe Shuffle. The working titles are:

• Candy Striper For Life
  • Love in a Paper Hat
  • Doctor-Nurse Relations
  • Bedside Manner Blues
  • The Ward Heeler

I know this change will challenge my readers and fans, but I’m really hoping you’ll be able to follow me in this new direction of mine. I’ll be combining my experiences as a cancer patient with my love of fiction and my writing talents to create something new, vibrant and hopefully a hell of a lot of fun.

Thank you.

9 thoughts on “[personal|writing] A change of direction

1. Miriam Pia says:

Wow, writing ‘for women’, not that you didn’t include women before, but this is something.

Hope it works out for you. I understand what it means to deal with unexpected changes: I had intended to write an SF series and a couple of philosophy books. The first ghostwriting book contract subjects were dating and mutual funds. Not what I had really expected.

2. Mike says:

SQUEE! Finally — space opera meets Dr. Kildare! Be still, my beating heart!

(Seriously. Be still. Tachycardia is no good in space.)

3. That’s beautiful, Jay.

4. Well, best of luck on the new direction, but I find the titles fairly plain. Why not keep to Shakespearean titles? Thanks to the wonder of the Internet, one can even find a handy list of lines by the Nurse in ROMEO AND JULIET to work with.

What would people rather read? Candy Striper For Life, or Suck’d Wisdom From Thy Teat?

:: chokes on a speculum, laughing ::

5. Nurse Ratched says:

Odd you should mention that. I’ve decided to change direction, too. I’m gearing up for a space-time trilogy and have finally abandoned my ex-opus, “Nursing the Old Grudge.”

6. heh heh (snort) What day is it again?

7. sally mclennan says:

Literary devices and medical devices in one sweet package. Great idea!!!

In that case, here are the submission guidelines for the Harlequin/Mills & Boon Medical Romance line, which is the only remaining publisher of nurse romances these days:

I’m looking forward to reading “Candy Striper for Life” or “Bedside Manner Blues”, because the titles are fun. Though “Pregnant with the Billionaire Surgeon’s Baby” seems to be more along the lines of the titles found in this genre.

😉