[cancer] James Bond and ow frick

As discussed, yesterday I did not go to the movies. This turned out to be wise, as my GI had a few nasty things to say around that morning. That actually started while Lisa Costello and I were out at early lunch with Jersey Girl in Portland and her visiting family. So I stayed home with Lisa and Jersey Girl and laid low. Mostly we watched Chitty Chitty Bang Bangimdb ], which I am old enough to have on VHS. Weirdest. James Bond. Movie. EVAR. Though it does include Dick van Dyke uttering the immortal line, “You’ll find a slight squeeze on the hooter an excellent safety precaution, Miss Scrumptious.”

(If you’re unfamiliar with the Chitty Chitty Bang Bang/James Bond connection, consider this: The original book was written by Ian Fleming. The screenplay was written by Fleming and Roald Dahl, along with two others. Albert Broccoli produced. Desmond Llewelyn has a minor role, who also played Q. The story features a magical car, an improbably named female love interest, a shadowy Eastern European dictatorship, and some weird sex. Yes, in a Disney movie. With Dick van Dyke as James Bond. Not to mention Benny Hill as a manic depressive toymaker and Phil Collins making an uncredited appearance as a child actor. Watch the movie with all this in mind and prepare to be amazed. It’s like all the James Bond plot cards turned 15 degrees out of true.)

Yesterday afternoon, the Neulasta pain came on. In a weird place — my upper arms and upper back. (This is not consistent with my own historical experience of this drug’s side effects.) I felt if I coughed or choked. This morning it is also in my lower back. What causes this is bone marrow growth blooms placing pressure on the bone from the inside. It expresses as a sharp, intense pain that can approach crippling, though in truth this is more annoying that crippling.

Ah, cancer and its discontents. I’ll always have Dick van Dyke. Sometime soon, we’re going to watch Mary Poppinsimdb ] with a similar revisionist eye. That movie also rewards such scrutiny.

7 thoughts on “[cancer] James Bond and ow frick

1. Nancy says:

I’m looking forward to Mary Poppins. What shall we deconstruct next?

2. vixy says:

I adore that movie, and I never knew Phil Collins was in it! Must watch it again…

3. Jaws says:

Then there’s the unacknowledged connection between MP and CCBB: Bert marries Mary, and they take the kids out of that wretched household (leaving the banker and his “suffragette” wife more time for selfishness). A year or so later, Mary finds another unwashed stud to play with, leaving Bert with the kids. Bert then moves to the countryside and changes all of their names, if only to avoid the shame of single-parenthood…

Hey, they’re both musicals. They don’t have to make sense; in fact, I think they’re prohibited from doing so!

1. gottacook says:

Not to mention that the songs in both MP and CCBB are by the Sherman brothers. Indeed, the CCBB songs could be MP rejects.

I hate to dispute our host, but I don’t believe Fleming (who had died in 1964) had anything to do with the script, which of course neglects everything good about the book except for the car itself. Why couldn’t the movie have been about the intact Pott family of the book, instead of the motherless Potts family and Truly Scrumptious?

Fleming is given script credit in the film and on IMDB. Whether he actually did that work I am absolutely not in a position to know, of course.

4. Rob Meyer says:

CCBB wasn’t a Disney film. In fact, by doing this film Dick Van Dyke had a falling out with Walt Disney. This was also during the time when he was drinking and so he had some problems. Benny Hill plays the toymaker. Gert Frobe (Goldfinger) plays the baron. Anna Quayle (Frau Hoffner, the dominatrix who trained Mata Hari in Casino Royale, 1967) plays the Baroness.