[cancer] Yet another update

The hospice nurse came to visit again yesterday and we talked about the fact that Jay is losing his ability to swallow. Where just a few days ago he could easily take in all the liquid nutrition we’ve been giving him, now he struggles to take in more than a few sips. He does better with water than with other liquids.

Oddly enough, the cough that has been bothering him since after his surgery earlier this year has subsided a bit as the swallowing issue has increased. What that means, I have no idea, but at least he’s a bit more comfortable that way if less comfortable another way. Tiny silver lining.

He’s completely stopped reading email or doing anything else online. That brief window of energy he was having in the morning has closed completely. This means he’s missing the breathtaking memorial that’s going on right now on Facebook. Of course, it also means that he missed the rumors of his passing.

He’s only getting out of his chair for bathroom breaks, but thanks to a friend’s heroic efforts, we now have things set up so he can get onto and off the toilet with more ease.

Thanks to everyone for their unstinting support – it means a great deal, no matter what form it takes.

15 thoughts on “[cancer] Yet another update

1. David Greenbaum says:

Usually swallowing problems go the other way, with thin liquids posing greater difficulty than thicker. Is this a depressive food aversion?

2. David Greenbaum says:

Maybe you want to talk to a speech therapist about this dysphagia, Dehydration is a fast way to go.

3. Laurie Mann says:

Thank-you for taking the time to let us know. Thinking of all of you.

4. Ruth says:

Sending healing thoughts & hugs to you all.

5. Thank you for keeping us updated. I’m sorry he can’t see everything people are saying; I hope he knows how much we all love him. If all it took were love, he’d live forever.

You are amazing. I’ve only had a small taste of the kind of experience you’re going through, and… there aren’t words enough. I am so very sorry for the pain of it, and I am in awe of you.

Please also give The Child our love, if you think it would help.

6. SoonLeeNZ says:

Thank you for the update. I continue to keep you all in my thoughts.

7. My mother-in-law spent her hospice time in my living room. She went into a coma two days after she couldn’t swallow any more and died three days after that.

I wish you all well, and Jay as little pain as possible.

8. Bellatrix says:

When I care took for a friend with liver cancer we made Slippey elm lozenges with honey and powdered slippery elm. If there is a bulk herb store you can find it it it really soothes the throat and helped her swallow soups and teas with much ease. Hope you are well and love to Jay.

9. Alexis says:

nothing else

10. pelican says:

Hospice are a great resource. Don’t hesitate to call them to ask anything. They want to help, and they want to help all of you- Jay to be comfortable and at peace, everyone else to understand what is happening and to be able to be there for Jay. Wishing all of you as much ease as is possible in such a hard time.

11. Stevie says:

Thank you for taking the time to update us; as ever you are all in my thoughts. I wish I could do more than send you cyber hugs!

12. Peter Sursi says:

Lisa, just wanted to thank you for keeping us informed. I can’t imagine how hard it is for you.

13. Cliff Winnig says:

Thank you for the update. I continue to keep Jay in my thoughts.

14. Manda says:

Sending you love and wishing you peace in this difficult time

15. Cora Buhlert says:

You’re in my thoughts, as always.