[cancer] The end has come

Jay passed this morning, June 1 at 5:45. Lisa and friends were with him. He will be missed.

If you want to make a contribution in Jay’s name, please make it to:
Clayton Memorial Medical Fund
c/o OSFCI
P.O. Box 5703
Portland, Oregon 97228

121 thoughts on “[cancer] The end has come

1. zxhrue says:

Condolences.

2. We, and all of us at Tachyon, are deeply sorry to hear of Jay’s passing. Our thoughts are with Lisa, Bronwyn, and Jay’s family. I know we’ll never forget him.

3. Rick Moen says:

To Lisa, Bronwyn, Mr. and Ms. Lake, and all the other people in Jay’s life: Our thoughts are with you. I hope you will remember with fondness and joy your many years with him, a gift despite the sadness.

Very Best,
    Rick Moen
    rick@linuxmafia.com

4. Jeff Dodiick says:

To the Family of Jay Lake:
    I was saddened to hear of the passing of Jay Lake today. Through the years I have enjoyed reading his incisive, entertaining SF stories. My condolences to you and those close to him. He will be missed.

5. Karisu Wen says:

Jay (yes, I am still addressing YOU here! No matter if it’s after June 1 2014!), Lisa, Bronwyn, Jay’s other close family members, et al…..

Our family’s thoughts and condolences are with all of you. Even though this was, in the end, “expected” (only because once “hospice” is mentioned, it rather becomes “expected” 🙁 ), one ALWAYS holds out an “irrational” hope for a different and far better outcome. :/ (I lost my dad to cancer when I’d just turned 20; similar type of thing, flashbacks. 🙁 )

Jay, you have inspired so many; and your legacy will continue to inspire, for a long, long, long time, even while you may be lounging around in some “great hereafter” checking up on your Facebook via some Next World spiritual link to the Internet. :p

All the best to all of you, with fondness and caring,
    Karisu Wen, Richard Man, & family

PS: Hey dude: now our younger daughter, who wasn’t with us last time we met you, can no longer hope to acquire your autograph on her Jay Lake books, dang it! :p

6. Jay, I’ll always think of you typing at the workshop kitchen table, making momos, and letting us crash at your beautiful house with the wedding dress as a curtain. Thank you, and to your family, please accept my sincere condolences.

7. Galena says:

I’m so sorry to hear this…I’ve been following Jay’s cancer updates posts for years and always hoped for the best in his treatments. My sincere condolences to the family.

8. Steve Feldberg says:

I am so sad. Yet I am so glad to have had a chance to work with Jay, to laugh with Jay, and to learn from Jay. He was an exquisite writer whose words are his legacy. Steve Feldberg, Audible.com

9. My condolences to Jay’s family, friends, and fans. Cancer does, indeed, suck.

10. Brian Scott Hiebert says:

Condolences to all of Jay’s family, friends and acquaintances. I didn’t know Jay very well, though I had met him at several conventions through my friend Jim Van Pelt, but I did have several nice conversations with him when he was overwhelmed by all of his other friends. Perhaps the most gregarious person I have ever met. Rest well, Jay, you deserve it after that gallant battle. Best, Brian Scott Hiebert.

11. Stephanie Sursi says:

Still sad today at the thought of the passing of such a beautiful, gregarious, and life-affirming soul. Although I only had the gift of meeting Jay (and Lisa too) one time for dinner, I cherish his memory. The grief you are going through is shared by so many, Lisa and Bronwyn. That is the greatest testament I can think of for how much Jay was loved and how much he will be missed. Rest in peace at last, bright one!

With love,
    Stephanie Sursi

12. Cat Jenkins says:

Jay left so much beauty in his wake that, to my simple way of seeing things, he did not lose this battle. He has moved on, but he did not lose.

13. Jay Lake has been an inspiration to me. I got a chance to tell him so last year, for which I’m grateful. There’s going to be a hole in my heart for the rest of my days, though, with his passing.

Go with grace, Jay, and I hope you guessed wrong: may there be something more beyond this life, and may it be so wonderful that it makes up for all the suffering of your final months here.

14. Sarah Harkins says:

So sad. He was such a bright spot in the world, and I am sorry for all the conversations we won’t get to have with him. My condolences to his circle of friends and family. Especially his dad.

15. Bellatrix says:

There is so much love for Jay in my heart. Your story lives on. Always.

Lisa, thank you for commitment and love. You have mine in return.

16. Erica says:

I am very sad to hear this and wish Jay’s family and loved ones my sincere condolences. I met Jay at the Cascade Writer’s conference two years ago, and I regret that I will never have the chance to get to know him better.

17. I didn’t know you, Jay, but I’ve followed your blog for years and always found inspiration in your posts. You were always so funny and insightful. I’ll miss making my weekly check here for updates. Still, what a treasure you’ve left us all, your life account, your fiction. But most of all, my thoughts are with your family. My condolences to you all.