[links] Link salad for a Wyoming Monday

voidampersand liked Escapement Powell’s | Amazon ]

Call For Submissions – Footprints — Now it can be told. Eric Reynolds and I are editing a hard(ish) SF anthology, for which the reading window opens soon. Bribes cheerfully accepted, though they won’t influence the reading process at all.

Nancy Kress talks about Launch Pad

James Gurney on the design of alternate history — A very nice post.

8/4/08
Time in saddle: 0 minutes (long city walk this morning)
Last night’s weigh-out: n/a
This morning’s weigh-in: n/a
Currently reading: Launch Pad Workshop class materials

6 thoughts on “[links] Link salad for a Wyoming Monday

1. David says:

Great news about the anthology, Jay! Do you accept submissions from newbie, unpublished authors?

– Aside –
    I’ve been reading your blog for the past four months or so. I can only admire the strength and eloquence with which you have dealt with all the Big Issues that have come your way recently.

cheers
    david

Absolutely, David. We encourage submissions from newbie authors. And thank you for the kind words about the blog!

3. David says:

Hi,

Thanks for the swift reply! One more question… in your opinion, would it make sense for an aspiring writer such as myself to write a story specifically for an anthology such as this?
    Does having a story published in anthology such as this one carry more weight towards potential future agents/publishers than publishing in magazines?
    Perhaps I’m worrying too much about the business side of these things, and I should focus more on the actual writing… but as someone entirely new to publishing, I’m just wondering…

(sorry for the rambling question)

Write the story you want to write. For an antho like this, if we don’t take it, you can still market it elsewhere. In general, yes, focus on the actual writing. The business side is irrelevant without the stories. Like building a sawmill without having lumber available.

5. Caren says:

Hey Jay,
    Welcome back from WorldCon.
    I met you briefly at the CW party a few weeks back–I was one of the students. I have an incredibly dumb question about the anthology that I think I already know the answer to, but need validation because I’m terribly insecure: it doesn’t have to be the moon footprints, per se, right? It can be any remnant of human existence?

Thanks for indulging me.

Hi Caren —

No, that’s not a dumb question. The anthology is focused on the moon footprints, but if you have another idea which illustrates the same point, then by all means, take the shot!