[personal|cancer] Getting back on the horse

…or perhaps getting back under the horse, for my next trampling.

Back home and once again life’s inevitabilities are closing in. Our vacation in New Zealand and Australia was excellent for taking my mind off cancer and its discontents, even with substantial discussion of the issue along the way with many friends and acquaintances. However, this is Saturday of the week before my next cancer surgery, and a young man’s fancy turns lightly towards thoughts of tumors.

Laying low this weekend, mostly Doing Nothing and working on the Kalimpura outline. I’m a bit behind my own writing schedule, but have not yet consumed the available slack, so I’m not going to fash myself unduly. Reconnecting with friends and family as I can. Back to work on Monday, Tuesday is my pre-surgery dinner party, Wednesday is pre-op day at the hospital (I think I have either four or five different appointments) and Thursday I have the left lobe of my liver removed. I expect to be discharged from the hospital the following Monday or so. Once the pathology is done on the lesion in my left lobe, we’ll know for sure, but the strong medical opinion is that I’ll soon be enjoying another six-month round of chemo for this, my probable second metastasis.

As nancyfulda says of her cancer treatments, Not-Dying is time consuming.

My dear friend markbourne in Seattle is having his third go-round of cardiac issues in hospital this coming week as well. I wish I could be there for him and e_bourne, much as they had planned to be here for me and calendula_witch, but we’ll just have to wave at one another from hospital beds 200 miles apart.

9 thoughts on “[personal|cancer] Getting back on the horse

1. Fran says:

Let’s hope the lesion is not cancerous as they are expecting. Wouldn’t THAT be a boon? Oh, and welcome back! I’ll try to catch up with you next time I head to the Dave’s Killer Bread store.

Mmm, Dave’s…

2. It’s been good to read your recent posts where the word “cancer” doesn’t get mentioned. Here’s hoping you’ll be able to write more of them soon.

I dunno about “hospital beds 200 miles apart”. I was visiting my mom and stepdad last week; it was easy, because they’re sharing the same hospital room. (Tom because his chronically-flaky hip dislocated again, on top of his own recent chemotherapy. And Mom because, a few minutes after Tom went off in the ambulance, she took a bad fall and ended up with several spinal fractures.) So visiting is convenient, but still… could we just rewind the clock and skip past this part on the replay?

I’d be quite pleased to skip past this part, yes. And I’m sorry to hear about your parents. Yikes! Health to them!

3. Hey you! Will be thinking of you and sending good thoughts. Hugs from down here.

4. Kathryn says:

I am constantly amazed at your felicitous turns of phrase. We are still using “perspective by the metric ton.” and now “So, yeah, this horse sucks. But I’m still getting back on it. Either that, or be dragged behind the pale beast.” You are incapable of writing an awkward sentence and your verbal images last and last and last. Thank you.

Thank you very much.

5. Susanna says:

When the ride (or drag or trampling, as the case may be) is finished, I recommend sending said horse off to the glue factory post haste.

Many thoughts and good wishes from a long-term cancer survivor for successful surgery and minimal follow up chemo.

Thank you very much. And yes, well, we shall see…