[cancer] Things I want to do before I die

Things I want to do before I die, time, health and funds permitting:

• Take a long road trip through the American west with [info]the_child
  • Take [info]the_child to New Zealand to visit [info]danjite and [info]khaybee.
  • Take [info]the_child to Antarctica.
  • Visit the railroad graveyard in Uyuni, Bolivia with a really good camera in hand.
  • Visit the city of Petra in Jordan.
  • Go back to Taiwan (where I was born and spent my grade school years) one more time.
  • Write (well, finish) Original Destiny, Manifest Sin.
  • Write (well, finish) Jay Lake’s Book of the Dead.
  • See [info]the_child graduate from high school.

With the exception of writing one or both books, none of these are likely to happen for a bunch of very good reasons, money and time especially, but they’re what’s on my mind. Funny how they’re almost all travel-oriented.

13 thoughts on “[cancer] Things I want to do before I die

1. It seems inappropriate somehow to say this, but good list. I’d love to see the railroad graveyard.

2. H says:

Quit work and go!!!!

3. Bellatrix says:

If you do get out west I will, bring you on a hot spring tour of New Mexico! Nothing but chilling in the hot soothing waters!

Sounds awesome!

4. Stevie says:

Ok, Petra is do-able; 23 day cruise from Dubai to England is probably the cheapest way of doing it this April. $4,500 for two people sharing an inside cabin, and the full day excursion to Petra is around $450 for two. That is from Aqaba which is the closest port to Petra. You also need to factor in the return flights from Portland to London, but they seem inexpensive, and open up the opportunity of spending some time in Britain.
    There are other excursions for other ports, of course, but you could get a lot of writing done when someone else does all the domestic stuff for you, and all you have to decide is what you want to eat and drink…

5. Bob says:

A nice list. With some overlap with my own. The Bolivia link doesn’t work.

I hope you get to do all those things. Though, as I said yesterday, I hope that we won’t get to read the Book of the Dead for a long time yet.

7. David S. says:

That’s quite an impressive list, good luck with it!

I’ve probably missed something somewhere along the way but what is happening with Sunspin? Last I recall “Calamity of So Long a Life” was finished (?), but since then I haven’t seen any updates on the remaining two volumes (or publication plans for Calamity come to think of it). And I’ve been really, really looking forward to that series…

Calamity is finished and revised. The next volume is finished in first draft. We’re currently looking for a publisher, and the series will probably be finished by a collaborator TBA, due to my health. Sadly, I don’t think I have enough time left in my life to finish the series myself.

1. David S. says:

I’ve got twenty bucks that says you’re wrong about that.