[personal|tech] So done with LiveJournal

Once upon a time I blogged on my Web site with hand-coded HTML, back before there were blogs. Then I was on Speculations a while. The Blogspot and JournalScape. I moved to LiveJournal about ten years ago because that’s where a lot of the rest of the online SF/F community was going.

So I’ve been on LiveJournal a long time. I was so committed to the platform that I’m a permanent member. The version of my blog there is often in the top ten list of most-read LiveJournal accounts these days. (Which is more a comment on the decline of LiveJournal than on my actual popularity, I’m pretty sure.)

LiveJournal’s chronic problems with politically-motivated DDOS attacks from within the Russian hacking and intelligence communities have been annoying as heck. I’ve groused about it on a number of occasions, because I have neither the time nor the patience to spend forty-five minutes trying to perform what should be 90 seconds of posting activity. I’ve been convinced repeatedly that to abandon LiveJournal would be to give in to authoritarian cyberbullying.

Fair enough.

But this morning, when I tried to post Link Salad over there, I got this error message:

2013-12-29 LiveJournal Error Message

That is the world’s most useless error message. It tells me absolutely nothing about what is wrong.

When I tried to edit the entry, LiveJournal then went into some kind of lockout mode where I had to close the browser tab and start over. When I reposted the code from scratch in a new entry, I got the same damned error message, followed by the lockout.

My life is too short for this. Literally and figuratively. I’ve pretty much had it with LiveJournal weirdness. I hate to walk away from a presence where I have a large reading base and a long historical presence, but I simply can’t deal with this crap any more.

I am converting my LiveJournal presence to an RSS feed of my WordPress blog as soon as I can figure out how to manage that. (If someone reading here knows how to do that for me, I will gladly hand you the keys to the blog so you can do so.)

Been nice knowing you, LJ.

25 thoughts on “[personal|tech] So done with LiveJournal

1. Rafe says:

I believe you can create an RSS LJ – jaylake_rss, for instance – that will autopost to LJ when you publish here, and that those of us over there, can subscribe to. I’m uncertain of the specifics, though.

1. Just FYI for anyone interested, there is an RSS feed on LiveJournal for Jay’s blog — no idea how long it’s been there, but it seems to have all the posts so far:

2. Phiala says:

There’s a wordpress plugin that will automatically crosspost for you, cleverly named LJcrossposter or something similar. I can look at my setup later if you need more information.

Every time I have tried to use a WP/LJ crossposter, it has broken within a few months as LJ frequently makes unannounced changes to their server configurations and APIs. I finally gave up, because it was more trouble than it was worth. Have they gotten any better about it?

1. Not so’s you’d notice. I moved away from LJ last year for similar reasons. Oddly enough, My blog started with hand coded html as well…

2. The one I’m using right now (Livejournal Crossposter) seems to work pretty reliably, actually. Though it does mess up the formatting of photographs every. freaking. time.

3. Phiala says:

I used Livejournal Crossposter and Livejournal Crossposter Remix for a while, but they were unstable and often quit working for no apparent reason. I switched to JournalPress, which has been working well for me. But I see it hasn’t been updated in years, and the web page is defunct, so possibly not a good thing to adopt now (though as I said it does work).

3. Asakiyume says:

What Rafe says is the easiest thing. Logged in to LJ, go to livejournal (dot) com / syn / (I’m spacing those slashes so that the URL doesn’t make the comment look like spam. Then you just pop this journal’s RSS info in there, give it a name such as Rafe’s suggested, and you’re good to go.

Can I put an RSS feed into my current LJ ID? Or do I need to create a new one?

1. Asakiyume says:

You need to create a new one–your current name is taken by your current LJ blog. I can try doing it for you if you want. We could call it Jay Lake WordPress or something.

That’s what I’m trying to avoid. I’d like the people who follow my LJ to still have some kind of access. I guess that’s not really an option, is it?

1. Asakiyume says:

Yeah, not with this method, though you could announce that they’d have to friend the other account. I was going to say that whatever you do, we LJers would be very grateful if you didn’t delete/give up on the LJ account, even if you couldn’t crosspost everything. I don’t know what LJ’s major malfunction was, that gave you that error message, and LJ *IS* a dying dinosaur, but some of us just want to stay there to the bitter end, and we like you there too (because we’re selfish like that… and listen to me speaking for all LJers, sheesh)

I’m not going to delete the LJ account, but if I can’t feed it RSS, it’s going to go static and dormant. I hate to bail out, but I have spent *way* too much time and mental energy fucking with LJ weirdness as time goes by.

1. Asakiyume says:

Understood–that’s a big factor in LJ’s demise, for sure (well, that and Facebook/Twitter/Tumblr)

1. Asakiyume says:

Maybe someone else will come up with a good cross-posting RSS-thingie.

2. A sticky at the top of the blog would tell people where to find you, which would help..and a last message to your feed would get current readers the info.

Can you give someone access to let them try the WordPress auto post and have the ability to fix it if it bombs out?

I may well just get someone else to sort this out, yes. 😉

4. Someone set one up for me about 5 1/2 years ago and it still posts just fine… But I’m not nearly as heavy a blogger as you are.

5. Tumblr’s error message is, “That didn’t work for some reason.”

Go you for shedding what frustrations you can!

6. ces says:

If you quit posting here, you’ll lose me as a reader. I refuse to being conned into using yet another social media. Facebook, twitter, and blog take up too much of my time already.

Well, it’s not my desire to quit posting anywhere. But the overhead of dealing with LJ has been slowly getting steeper. And given the issue behind the error I saw today (see comments here if you’re curious: http://jaylake.livejournal.com/3366816.html#comments), I can’t possibly keep up.

Re your comment about being conned into using another social media, you have my sympathy. I have always disliked Facebook rather intensely, but that’s where a large portion of my social media audience has migrated to, so I must needs pay attention to it. Things do change, otherwise we’d all still be on GEnie or Compuserve, right?

Oddly, I don’t mind Twitter so much, but I don’t really use either FB or Twitter to read other people’s feeds. I’m still very blog-centric as a reader. So like I said, you do have my sympathy.

7. Terry says:

I think I’ll put this web site on my daily net cruise list. I’m too inept to figure out how to get feeds & such, and I am not on Twitter or Facebook. IOW: You can run but you can’t hide, lol.

8. Dave Raines says:

For me, I’ll find you and it’ll be okay. The problem for me is that I post so rarely it doesn’t make sense to figure out a whole new platform. It’s the same issue you have, from the flip side: why waste time on trivia?