[cancer] Latest update

So, things are still pretty grim and quiet on the homefront.

Jay is still having food issues, and is sleeping almost all the time now.  He wakes up well enough to have a snack or to take his pills, but if he’s in the chair, he’s asleep.

He’s also having issues sleeping at night; I think some of that is physical comfort issues and some of it now is medication withdrawal.

This week he went to a hypnotherapist, which I think did wonders for him, and an acupuncturist. That latter was just this morning, so no way to tell if it had any effect. He’ll continue seeing both of them for the foreseeable future.

After the positive effect he saw from the hypnotherapy and his daily guided meditation from the hypnotherapist, we decided to take him off the anti-nausea drug that makes him so stupid and see how that went. It was going pretty well until today, with his three-times-a-week antibiotic dose.  We’ll see how it goes from here. But this is what’s affecting his sleep, as going off this drug has insomnia as a side effect.

He’s still not eating enough to keep his weight steady, and his appetite has definitely diminished after going off the one med, which is an expected effect.

Still hoping the hypnotherapy especially and the acupuncture will help to release him from the prison of not being able to eat.

More news as we know it …

27 thoughts on “[cancer] Latest update

1. Ellen Eades says:

Thank you for sharing, Lisa. I continue to hold you both in my thoughts.

2. *fingers crossed* Keeping you all in my thoughts. <3

3. Albatross says:

Continuing to wish you both all the best, and thank you for taking a moment out from what must be a grueling routine to update all these strangers and friends out on the Internet.

4. Holding Jay — and you! — in the Light.

5. Barbara says:

i chime in with others here, thank you for letting us know, friends, strangers, etc. what is up on the LakeFront. glad the hypnotherapy has been effective…eating and sleeping–is that too much to ask? Hoping for improvements…

6. I wish he’d try some RSO or other form of cannabis medication. It might at least help with his eating. I’m hoping the best for him whatever comes his way…

7. Emily Mah says:

Thanks so much for keeping everyone posted (and for taking such wonderful care of Jay.)

8. Erica says:

Thanks for letting us know how things are going. Sending you both the best wishes and thoughts.

9. Terry says:

Thanks for the update, Lisa. Take care of yourself, too. Tell Jay hi, and I’m thinking about both of you every day.

10. Thanks for the update, Lisa. Best wishes to you both.

11. Thank you for the news. Thinking of you all.

12. Russ W says:

Thanks for the update. I think about Jay often. Sorry things are not going so great; hopefully the hypnotherapist and acupuncturist to help a bit.

13. pelican says:

Best wishes for solutions to these problems, and peace and comfort for the whole Lake household.

14. Bruce Taylor says:

Thank you for update and am really glad to hear about the hypnosis!
    Sure saved MY life and was so impressed by what it could do that, aside from being a writer, I became a hypnotherapist. Amazing stuff and hope it will continue to work wonders (one of the things it can do is reduce overall stress and so doing, meds can become more effective). Happy to answer any questions you may have.
    Best wishes to both of you.

15. Cora Buhlert says:

Thanks for the update, Lisa. Jay and you continue to be in my thoughts.

16. Stevie says:

Thank you for the update; I continue to think of you all, and hope for some improvement.

17. SubmarineBells says:

Thinking of you, Jay.

18. Leah Cutter says:

Thank you for the update. I continue to hold Jay and you in my thoughts.

19. Eileen Gunn says:

Keeping you in my thoughts, Jay and Lisa!

20. I know the feeling. Ever since my cancer treatment, sleeping at night has been a rare occurrence. There are a few things I’ve found that help a little, but ultimately, I am now a night owl.

I hope things work out for you, and that you come out of this battle victorious.

21. Jaws says:

I was scanning this while on ignore with A Certain Cable TV Provider and misread it as seeking “hippotherapy,” which immediately led to old cartoons and helped while away the looooooooooooong wait. Which is still going on…

22. Alexis says:

All I can do is send you love from across the country.

23. Kate Schaefer says:

Nothing in particular to say, Jay and Lisa, but wanted to let you know I’m thinking about you about eleventy-thousand times more often than I get around to saying so.

24. Stevie says:

Lisa
    Just popping back to enquire how all of you are; I’ve been reading your blog to try to get to know you better, since you are taking such burdens upon yourself, and I am awestruck by your decision to go for the relationship with Jay knowing the likely outcome.
    Actually, if anything it reminds me of Arwen’s response to Aragorn; knowing, as she did that almost inevitable outcome.

Of course, if you loathe LOR please delete my post 🙂

25. Terry says:

Stopping by to say hi, and hoping behind-the-scenes things are getting more comfortable for Jay. *hugs* to you, Lisa, and to Jay’s mom. Today I’m especially thinking of her.

26. Barbara says:

also just checking in for news, (for olds, I guess there are books)… you are in my thoughts. selfishly hoping for some more servings of link salad in days to come. We miss you here.