Archive for Polls
Time for another caption contest voting poll. In celebration of my recent medical (mis)adventures,
The voting poll for the caption contest announced here: [ jlake.com | LiveJournal ] Prize will be a hardback of Green [ Powell’s | Amazon ] (when it’s available) or another of my books of the winner’s choice. Have fun!
Which caption best captures the spirit of the photo above?
- Matt H: Tai Shan always ended up giving his lunch money to the bigger pandas, and he never looked forward to gym class. (25%, 26 Votes)
- goulo: "You have failed me for the last time, Admiral." (9%, 9 Votes)
- djonn: Out of nowhere, Dr. McGuffin strikes, transforming Jay Lake and The Child with his diabolical Panda Beam! (7%, 7 Votes)
- biomekanic: "The power of Christ compels you!" (7%, 7 Votes)
- Jaws: I don't KNOW where the bomb is! And what’s this "waterbambooing" thing you're talking about? (6%, 6 Votes)
- sacredmime: Small panda: "Don't hurt me, I'm on the endangered list!" (5%, 5 Votes)
- biomekanic: "Is Ling-ling going to have to choke a bitch?" (5%, 5 Votes)
- biomekanic: "I told you, no more wire coat hangers!" (5%, 5 Votes)
- blogtiderising: Now, now, Junior. Put down that paw. We're socialists not fascists. (3%, 3 Votes)
- slweippert: But Mom! It was funny when Dad did it! (3%, 3 Votes)
- quantumage: I...Forgot...Safeword! (3%, 3 Votes)
- dinogrl: Ling Ling, if I told you once, I;ve told you one thousand times, QUIT Panda'ering to that Jay Lake! It's NOT going to work! You will not win this contest! Now STOP it! (3%, 3 Votes)
- stillsostrange: "But Mooooooommmm, everybody's wearing their collars popped!" "Not in my house, they're not." (2%, 2 Votes)
- melissajm: "I swear, Billy gave me this black eye! Honest!" "Uh-huh." (2%, 2 Votes)
- brent_kellmer: "No, no, George, Get a hold of yourself! You'll get through this -- you just have to be strong." (2%, 2 Votes)
- sacredmime: "Pop quiz, punk--What's about to be black and white and red all over?" (2%, 2 Votes)
- will_couvillier: I swear it's true! Hairless pink aliens stole all the bamboo, not me! (2%, 2 Votes)
- love_of_anime: "Mom...I washed under my neck I swear-geez-I'm too old for this." (2%, 2 Votes)
- mikigarrison: Posy was starting to wish that she'd gone for the Smokey the Bear gig -- being the Domestic Violence Panda might have more prestige and career potential, but a girl can only be choked s (2%, 2 Votes)
- kylecassidy: "Imagine," George Lucas told the crowd of aspiring filmmakers, "how much better the merchandising sales would have been had all the characters in Mommy Dearest been, say, panda bears. (1%, 1 Votes)
- kradical: No, really, it was this big!!!!!! (1%, 1 Votes)
- JSN: Auditions for the next Panda Express spokes-bear get out of hand when Junior gloats he's cuter than Eddie and Tom-Tom put together. (1%, 1 Votes)
- charlesatan: "Stay still so I can unzip you out of the panda costume." (1%, 1 Votes)
- yourbob: But Mom! The whole gang's going to see "Kung Fu Panda." (1%, 1 Votes)
- vg_ford: Really, Mom, I didn't take your copy of Mainspring! I don't know where it is! (1%, 1 Votes)
- cjmarsicano: No, no, no! I'm supposed to be leading! And we're learning the fox trot, not the tango! (0%, 0 Votes)
- quantumage: Raise your hand if you think drinking my last cold bamboo beer was a bad idea. Anyone? Anyone? (0%, 0 Votes)
- quantumage: Simpsons did it. (0%, 0 Votes)
- martyn44: Mom, I didn't know it was your last one. Scout's honour! (0%, 0 Votes)
- quantumage: Bear-atch! Puh-lease! (0%, 0 Votes)
- klingonguy: From the Spice Up Your Sex Life Calendar: Furry* Missionary Position with a Dwarf *Also available in Aardvark, Tiger, and Zebra suits. (0%, 0 Votes)
- will_couvillier: I didn't do it! I swear, the polar bear did it, really! (0%, 0 Votes)
- will_couvillier: Hai, CHOP!! (0%, 0 Votes)
- kehrli: DOH! The thirtieth season of The Simpsons, now live-action with an all-panda cast, has been canceled. The cause was cited as 'low ratings' and not, as some have suggested, increasing opposit (0%, 0 Votes)
- wild_patience: "Mom, that tickles! Hey, when is it my turn to lead?" (0%, 0 Votes)
- Intelligentrix: Gimme yer lunch money! Don't make me give you a wedgie. (0%, 0 Votes)
- newroticgirl: SLAPFIGHT!!! (0%, 0 Votes)
- jaborwhalky: "Raise your hands in the air, wave them like you just don't care" (0%, 0 Votes)
Total Voters: 102
Note some answers truncated by poll code length limitations. See the original posts for full text.
With 103 respondents, the curve stays fairly similar to its earlier version [ jlake.com | LiveJournal ]. There is certainly a polling artefact in place due my imprecision in crafting the question — judging from comments, some people cited their first appearance in a school paper etc., others cited their first professional publication.
At the same time, I suspect even with a much better crafted survey instrument we’d see a similar, if perhaps less dramatic curve. I’ll generalize thusly: some people come to writing with enough raw talent to begin publishing early, and then grow into their craft. Those are the writers who started young. Some people (myself included) have to serve their decade+ of apprenticeship and write their million+ bad words, which explains the 31-35 bump.
There’s no defensible methodology here, it’s an amateur Internet survey with a self-selected response pool, but I still find this most interesting. Per a suggestion from
Your thoughts? Other ways to look at this?
I was chatting with
All of which makes me wonder, if you are professionally published, at what age did you first appear in print? I’ve put up a poll here. If I get a decent set of results, I’ll generate a graph and do some off-the-cuff analysis. Feel free to amplify your poll answer in remarks here or at the poll itself.
What are your thoughts on this? Is the question of chronological age vs. literary generation even relevant?
Feel free to amplify your response in comments.